Tuesday, January 15, 2013

I sit and I pray/In my broken down Chevrolet.

Earlier today, I sat in my new favorite practice location: on an ottoman behind my couch with a table of power amps, mixers, EQ's and amplifiers in front of me.  I was working on those ever-elusive "originals" bands struggle to write, lamenting my recent run of bad luck.  You see, I was rear-ended a few days before New Years Eve and still haven't found my beloved Chevy's successor.

Suddenly, I had a stroke of brilliance:  We need to cover Social Distortions "Ball and Chain" for the Hookah show.  First of all, everybody loves "Social D."  Second, a song like that translates excellently to acoustic.  Ball and Chain must have been written for guys like me dealing with the loss of a vehicle.

I immediately phoned Chris before the inspiration slipped my mind. I explained what I thought was a stroke of brilliance only to discover Chris was unfamiliar with the song.  I continued to describe how I envisioned the arrangement:  My voice and guitar, Chris' guitar and harmonica.  He was on board with the idea.




A few years ago, my aging my great grandma realized her driving days were behind her and sold us her gently used car for a very generous price.  I've driven that car constantly for the last three years of my life.  I've loaded that car with so much gear between shows and practice that I'm still amazed my suspension was still functional.

Grandma sadly passed away last March, while the new 3 Way Street was still in its infancy, but her Malibu marched on.  I had a hilarious arrangement for my gear in my little car:  In my passenger seat, my Nike bag stuffed with cables.  On the floor of the passenger side, my mixer.  In the back seat, both towering cabinets, arranged as to not hit my windows.  On the backseat floor, my boom stand and guitar case.  In the trunk, my guitar amplifier and my power amplifier.  The arrangement got even more confusing the days I had to pick my girlfriend up before a show.

I'm devastated to bid my Chevy adieu.  Show and practices just won't be the same without it.

Yet, I'm relieved I wasn't carting any gear.  This experience taught me not to drive around with my equipment in the car in between shows and practices.

1 comment:

  1. You're right about Social D. The only people who don't like them are the ones who have never heard of them.

    ReplyDelete