Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Song Writing

 
   How the hell did Randy Newman do it?  How did he write so many songs?


   I've been playing guitar since the seventh grade:  I'm not a mathematician, but that's a good amount of time for a nineteen year old.  What do I have to show for it?  I'm part of quirky band of geniuses.  I have more than a few melodies and accompaniments.  I wrote a three part harmony to "Happy Birthday" for God sakes.  Yet, I have no real songs written.  What the hell?

   I wrote a handful of "songs" two semesters ago in my engaging Ethics class.  They've all gone missing, much to my chagrin.  Perhaps my life lacks the requisite excitement to properly write a song.

   Hopefully, a breakthrough is on the horizon.  While my adjunct stats professor went over practice problem after practice problem, I scribbled some words down to a simple four-chord progression.  Suddenly, the words began to flow.  I was writing a story.  Without going into great detail, the words resonated with me.  I'll unveil the song to Chris and Ziggy tomorrow afternoon at our practice studio and to the public this Saturday at the Hookah Connection at 9:00 pm. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey I've been doing this whole writing thing since I was in the sixth grade and I don't have too much to show for it. Don't worry. If you love it, and you are passionate about it then you'll do it. Just keep working at it and write when the words come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you decide what sounds of music go with what words? I'm not a music person at all so I'll never get it.

    ReplyDelete