Thursday, January 17, 2013

Norwin's Got Talent, Take III

   Just like hockey players during the summer, musicians and singers need to stay sharp during the late Fall/Winter/Early Spring when shows are scarce.  One of my favorite ways to stay focused on singing and playing is by helping my little sister with her talent show act.

   Rewind to 2011:  I participated in the talent show for two acts:  First, I arranged and played guitar for my sister;s act. My sister, Emmarie, sang Queen's "The Show Must Go on."  Quite and undertaking for a freshman at the time.

   The arrangement is pretty interesting.  The intro may sound familiar (though it's hardly audible.)  While Queen's version starts with a dramatic orchestra and chimes, I open up with an acoustic version of Eminem's "Lose Yourself."

   A few acts later, I took the stage with my own act.  I covered Marc Cohn's "Walking in Memphis."  Posted below is my first performance as a singer (I played guitar in church and in front of groups dozens of times before.)

   

   Last year, my sister sang Kelly Clarkson's "Behind These Hazel Eyes."  What a strange choice for a blue eyed girl who hates pop music.  Once again, she came up empty.  Sadly, I do not have video or any pictures from this performance.

   This year, Emmarie will perform Breaking Benjamin's "Diary of Jane."  This is an excellent song choice, considering I have much more to contribute.  Here's what it sounds like when 3 Way Street does it. 

   If I'm not mistaken, I believe this talent show is scheduled for next Friday.  I don't foresee any acts out performing us, musically.  Unfortunately, I also don't foresee Emmarie winning; at least not this year.  The marionettes behind the talent show will surely win Emmarie off as a senior. 

2 comments:

  1. How true it is that talent shows are rigged. I have had my fair share of corruption. Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete