Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Preferences and Nuances of Guitarists

   Guitarists like myself are usually the most particular member of the band when it comes to equipment.  They're hyper-sensetive about the brand and model of guitar they use, the brand and gauge of strings, the brand and wattage of amplifiers, the types of pedals and EQ's, even the cables.

   For people like me (and Chris) with limited budgets, we can't always afford to be overly picky about our equipment.  I like Fender guitars.  I own two of them.  They're affordable and tough.  I prefer Gibsons, though.  Gibsons START around $800 and reach $3,000 for some custom models.  Chris uses the same Yamaha Stratocaster he's always used as well as an Ibanez ES-335 model.

   Amplification-wise, I like Peavey.  Peavey is a rugged, American made brand.  It's not always flashy but their models are well put together.  I have a Peavey 15 watt I lent to a friend to practice with and two Peavey 100 watt cabinets driven by a Peavey CS 800 X power amplifier.  Chris uses a Peavey Viper 75 watt that he seems to like well enough.

   I am the pickiest when it comes to strings.  While Chris prefers to use cheaper strings that he can change quickly and buy in bulk, I will only use Elixirs.  Elixirs are known for their nanoweb coating which prolongs string life three to five times that of normal strings.  See why?

2 comments:

  1. I've been shopping around for a hollow-body guitar for my husband and this post makes me understand why it seems so complicated. Because it is. Very particular, very individual, very complex. As a pianist, I'm amazed at the nuances of guitars (and guitarists).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the hollow-body acoustic or electric? The ES-335 I mentioned is semi-hollow. It's important to find a good hollow or semi-hollow body, though. It's a specialized guitar that, if not constructed properly, will sound horrible and fall apart quickly...like buying furniture from Ikea.

    ReplyDelete