Saturday, January 19, 2013

Festivals

   Until you sell a million records, being in a band is like being a seasonal laborer:  There's nothing to do in the wintertime except try to convene as often as possible and practice.  During times like these, I wish it was summertime.

   One of my not-so-fond memories of festivals came last August at North Huntingdon's "End of the summer celebration."

   Now, don't get me wrong: The Summer Celebration was a great venue.  It was really hot and sunny and we had great gear.  That's about where the positives end.

   For starters, 3 Way Street was promised an hour of play time.  Second, we were promised $150 for performing.  The money isn't a big object, and neither is the playing time, but owners and managers can get away with a lot when it comes to hiring unheard-of bands.  Ultimately, we were given $100 (which I promptly spent taking my girlfriend and sister out) and only 40 minutes play time.  Our soundcheck wasn't great either.  My guitar was too low.

   Regardless, I wish it was festival season again.


2 comments:

  1. I havn't been to many music festivals, but the ones I have experienced usually have a certain energy to them. Glad to see this energy in your face on that last picture--isn't that part of the whole experience, anyway?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Outdoor festivals are all about the energy. I try to avoid indoor shows unless I'm seeing an artist I really like. Indoor events just can't equal outdoor ones in energy.

      Delete